Roar on the Shore® Named to 2017 AMA Gypsy Tour
ERIE – The Roar on the Shore® charitable motorcycle rally, Erie’s official bike week set for July 12, 13, 14, 15 & 16, has been selected as one of 17 road rides to be featured in the 2017 American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) Gypsy Tour, a national series of premier road-riding events held across the country between March and November. All media are invited to attend.
“Roar on the Shore® is truly honored to be named to the AMA Gypsy Tour,” said rally spokeswoman Tammy Polanski. “AMA Gypsy Tours and the rallies that include them, are among the largest and most popular U.S. motorcycle gatherings. This is a prestigious recognition for Roar® and the Erie community.”
Originally, a Gypsy Tour was an overnight event with organized road rides and other activities of interest to motorcycle enthusiasts, where groups of riders would converge on a single destination. Gypsy Tours were staged in different parts of the country and typically occurred on the same weekend every year. The “National” Gypsy Tour referred to the whole series of these events.
The AMA has been sanctioning Gypsy Tours since 1924. The schedule for the 2017 AMA Gypsy Tour, a national series of premier road-riding events, includes:
- March 10-19: AMA Gypsy Tour at Bike Week, Daytona Beach, Florida
- April 5-9: Arizona Bike Week, Phoenix, Arizona
- April 26-29: Laughlin River Run, Laughlin, Nevada
- May 3-7: Thunder Beach Spring Rally, Panama City, Florida
- May 12-21: Myrtle Beach Bike Week Spring Rally, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- June 5-10: Americade, Lake George, New York
- June 10-18: Laconia Motorcycle Week, Laconia, New Hampshire – AMA National Gypsy Tour Heritage Event
- June 22-25: Thunder in the Valley, Johnstown, Pa. – AMA National Road Rally
- July 7-9: AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days, New Lexington, Ohio – AMA National Gypsy Tour, AMA National Road Rally
- July 12-16: Roar on the Shore®, Erie, Pennsylvania
- Aug. 2-6: National Biker’s Roundup, Kansas City, Kansas
- Aug. 23-27: Rally in the Gorge, Hood River, Oregon
- Sept. 13-17: Golden Aspen Motorcycle Rally, Mescalero, New Mexico – AMA National Road Rally
- Sept. 22-24: Ray Price Capital City Bikefest, Raleigh, North Carolina
- Oct. 5-8: Las Vegas Bikefest, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Oct. 25-29: Thunder Beach Fall Rally, Panama City, Florida
- Nov. 2-5: Lone Star Rally, Galveston, Texas
Now, entering its 11th year in 2017, Roar on the Shore® has raised more than $840,000 for worthwhile charities and provided an economic boost of more than $25 million each year to the local economy. Proceeds of the 2017 rally will benefit the Mercy Center for Women, a ministry of the Sisters of Mercy that provides safe and supportive transitional housing, education and counseling for homeless women in the region.
For more information about Roar on the Shore®, visit www.roarontheshore.com
For a full schedule of AMA National Road Riding events, visit www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Riding/Story/AMA-National-Gypsy-Tour-Series.